Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Delusion, God and Vox Populi

I've been posting political commentary on the Pensacola News Journal website forums. Reaction to my ideas continues to be very poor. Popular I am most certainly not, but I tend to get responses - generally all of them bad.

I am very disappointed at the low level of intelligent response and discourse. Nearly every discussion of any serious contention ultimately devolves into insults. As an insight into the level of discourse, I note that several forum participants appear to believe that I am Jewish and/or Israeli. I let them believe it, even encourage it.

Many forum participants believe that 9/11 was a government conspiracy. I'm absolutely fucking stunned. The willingness to self-delusion is pervasive.

Other Observations:

The existence of the liberal evangelicals - strong christian faith but with reformed attitudes on gays. Anti-globalization but pro-UN, America-first, Anti-war, virulently anti-Israeli; at times devolving into anti-semetism;

Some evangelicals are pro-Israel but these seem to be in the distinct minority. These tend to be patriotic, pro-war and anti-UN. Strangely, these are my political allies. We seem to argue on the same side of most issues.

Devout evangelicals (who appear to be the vast majority of participants) tend to segregate and only appear to involve themselves in the interpretation of scripture.

No comments: